Agencies of the Ministry
The CEPEP Company Limited (CCL) is an incorporated entity under the Ministry of Housing and the Environment and has responsibility for programme execution in the area of environmental protection and enhancement. CEPEP focuses on environmental protection, enhancement and beautification in service areas.
The Environmental Management Authority is a statutory body established to protect, conserve and enhance the environment of Trinidad and Tobago. The functions of the Environmental Management Authority involve the following activities:
- Making recommendations for a National Environment Policy;
- Implementing policies and programmes for the effective management and wise use of the environment , consistent with the objectives of the EMA Act;
- Coordinating environmental management functions performed by persons in Trinidad and Tobago;
- Making recommendations for the rationalization of all Governmental entities performing environmental functions;
- Promoting educational and public awareness programmes on the environment;
- Developing and establishing national environmental standards and criteria;
- Monitoring compliance with the standards criteria and programs relating to the environment;
- Taking all appropriate action for the prevention and control of pollution and conservation of the environment, and
- Establishing and coordinating institutional linkages locally, regionally and internationally.
The Housing Development Corporation (HDC) is a Wholly-owned Enterprise established by Act No. 24 of 2005. The Corporation commenced operations on October 1st, 2005. The affairs of the Corporation are managed by a Board of Directors. The functions of the HDC include the following:-
- Provision of affordable and acceptable housing units and associated community facilities for low and middle income persons in HDC housing developments;
- Stimulation of private sector activities with respect to home construction;
- Rationalizing and restructuring of its mortgage portfolio;
- Management and maintenance of its housing estates, and
- Acquisition of land for housing development.
The Land Settlement Agency (LSA) is a statutory body established under Section 5 (1) of the State Land (Regularization of Tenure) Act of Parliament No. 25 of 1998. It operates under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Housing and the Environment and commenced formal operations in 1999.
Its responsibilities with respect to State lands are as follows:
- To conduct sociological, physical and cadastral surveys;
- To conduct title investigations;
- To develop viable communities;
- To prepare and issue Certificates of Comfort and Deeds of Lease; and,
- To do research and development.
The Government has adopted the position that poverty reduction and the provision of goods and services ensuring sustainable livelihoods and a decent quality of life must be addressed holistically and the LSA’s work is viewed as an important platform for development, in this regard.
The Sugar Industry Labour Welfare Committee was established by Act No. 64:05 of 1951 to control and administer the Sugar Industry Labour Welfare Fund.
The main focus of the work of SILWC was improvement of housing for workers in the sugar industry.
With the closure of Caroni (1975) Limited in July, 2003, and the uncertainty of the future of the sugar industry prompted SILWC to embark on an exercise to prepare a three-year Strategic Plan for the period 2004-2006. The preferred option in the Strategic Plan focused on legislative changes governing the operations of SILWC and the establishment of revenue generating business units with a complete focus on rural development.
At present, SILWC is engaged in the following projects/activities:
- Infrastructural works on land development sites for VSEP-availed employees of Caroni (1975) Limited
- Upgrading of squatter sites within its housing developments
- Maintenance of the physical infrastructure in its various housing settlements
- Management of its loan portfolio (including collection of arrears on loans)
- Issuance of 199-year Deeds of Lease to VSEP-availed workers of Caroni (1975) Limited
- Regularization of land tenure at Kumar Village, Williamsville and Frederick Settlement, Caroni
- Field inspection of improvement works on dwelling houses and disbursement of funds under the Home Improvement Grant and Subsidy programmes of the Ministry of Housing and the Environment
- Conduct title searches on behalf of the Land Settlement Agency to ascertain ownership of lands occupied by squatters
- Social investigations for financial assistance for emergency shelter cases